Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Juggling

From the Speakers: WARNING by Incubus

When working on a longer piece of writing, like the novel I'm 30,000 words into, it helps me to put it down for a day or two and let it sit. The words come so hot most of the time that it's like I give them time to cool off before I go back and reread what I've written, so I don't burn myself.

This is the time to write a short story. As I've said before, it's inevitable that you think up a good idea for a short story while in the midst of a bigger project, sometimes more than one. Right now I have three, and it crowds the brain having them all in there waiting to come out.

Plus, there's a few stories I already wrote that need to be edited and shopped out to magazines.

Plus, there's a few stories that are currently being reviewed by magazines.

Sitting at my desk, staring at my computer and wondering what I want to work on today, there's a lot to choose from, and it all needs doing. Usually, writing is a break from life--a way to escape for a bit, which is why I rarely write stories about ordinary people doing ordinary things (more on that at a later date). But lately it seems juggling my writing duties is a good analogy to handling life. I'm starting a new job on Monday, have some work to do before I get there, plus staying true to a workout program, plus I just started coaching a sports club . . . I never thought I'd be this busy BEFORE starting work. Hopefully the skills I've been practicing--juggling my writing life--will translate nicely into the rest of my life.

That said, as busy and chaotic and cluttered and sometimes exasperatingly stressful as writing can be, it is still the ultimate escape. For a few hours a day I am in my own world (or worlds). It's art--man's greatest drug. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Let's get to work.

PS--I added some links to my other stories off to the left. Check them out! I'd love to hear what you think of them.

1 comment:

  1. "Usually, writing is a break from life--a way to escape for a bit, which is why I rarely write stories about ordinary people doing ordinary things" -- same here! I enjoyed your RGR story; always been a fan of Firefly and hope to write my own space western one of these days.

    ReplyDelete