Saturday, November 19, 2022

Favorite Month for Writing

Now Playing: GIVES YOU HELL by All-American Rejects
Just Read: THEFT OF SWORDS by Michael J. Sullivan--A fun adventure novel with some intriguing characters and magic. I enjoyed the second half a lot, which was a mystery about a terrible beast. Page-turning!
Reading Now: IRON GOLD by Pierce Brown

I've come to think November is my favorite month for writing. 

Lots of reasons--first, it's NaNoWriMo and the writing community is alive and energized. I've completed NaNo twice, and have two novels that I love because of it. One day I will come back to them. They read like early attempts at novels, but I still think the stories are good. 

But something in the air is different in November, too. Maybe it's the changing seasons, how the weather gets colder and the days darker, that sparks some creativity. Something about the changing of a daily rhythm, perhaps, that gets the thoughts flowing. When I walk outside, the air seems more magical in November than any other month, and I find myself wanting to capture that feeling in a story. 

Along those lines, there's something creepy about November. It is heralded by Halloween. Life all around is dying slowly for winter. Heat escapes from my area of the planet. Every year I want to read Stephen King stories this time of year. (I'm catching up on some of his early work.) He's been one of my favorite writers my whole life, and reading him always makes me want to write. 

So I've been hard at it, usually while holding my newborn son (YAYYY!!!!) and have been submitting a few stories, as well. I also have some good publishing news to share soon! It's the kind of news I hope to have more of before long. Hope your writing is going well, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment