Saturday, October 3, 2015

Living the Dream

Now Playing: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE by John Williams
Just Read: CALICO JOE by John Grisham--A fun read. I love baseball, and he does a good job of portraying the magic baseball holds, especially over kids.
Reading Now: PARASITE by Mira Grant

It was a good September for me! I wrote two solid stories and began a third, which I'm planning on finishing for October's W1S1 requirement. I have some goals beyond that, but I'll get to them later. October is going to be a great month for me as well.

But not as great as it will be for my favorite author of 2014, Andy Weir. He wrote an awesome book called "The Martian" and I recommend it. It's a kind of Sci-Fi Robinson Crusoe story where an astronaut is stranded on Mars and has to use his limited resources and considerable wit to survive. It was his debut novel, and it just came out as a motion picture directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon.

I mean . . . WOW!

Talk about living the dream! The guy's DEBUT NOVEL reaches these heights! If someone had asked me, "What is your writing dream?" my answer would pretty much be Andy Weir's life.

I've spent most of 2015 writing longer short stories to send to some pro magazines and the WotF Contest. I'm going to finish October's, then spend the rest of 2015 trying to finish a novel. I am embarrassingly far in it, but petered out when I wasn't sure how to finish it. I got distracted by other stories begging to be written. So now I'm going to revisit it and see if I can finally write "The End" behind it and be proud. Heck, maybe I'll even query it to an agent and try to get it published.

Perhaps it'll even get turned into a movie starring Matt Damon.

No comments:

Post a Comment