Friday, January 6, 2012

Week One is Done

From the Speakers: BEST OF ME by Starting Line

Week one is done and I'm feeling good as a writer in 2012. I've been fortunate enough to have several days off in a row, so writing has consumed my focus. So far, my new 2012 Write1Sub1 log includes:

-one publication (The Lion's Den)
-two submissions
-two rejections
-one new completed story (6700 words)
-one query letter submission
-one query letter rejection (although, perhaps the nicest rejection letter I've ever received)
-am I missing anything? Oh yeah. 51 more weeks of exciting writing ahead of me!

Needless to say, it's been a busy week. I'm just hoping I can build up a bit of momentum to carry me through packed work weeks and distractions. I've got enough story ideas floating around in my head to last me about 8 weeks. But I won't let lack of ideas turn into lack of writing--that's what this challenge is about, after all: gluing your butt to the chair with your computer or a pen and paper and seeing what comes out. Lots of people say that's how they produce their best work.

I'm so excited!! This year is going to be so much fun.

5 comments:

  1. You are off to an AWESOME start! Pace yourself -- it's a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about nice publication rejections always feel really encouraging. I guess because they could always just use the form letter. Sounds like you've been staying busy. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! You must be so thrilled. Have you considered joining the Baen's Bar? They do online critiques of your short fiction, as well as potentially selecting your work for pro-market publication. I found it most helpful. By the way, one of my stories ("How Sleep the Brave") will also be published in Ray Gun Revival this month. All the best in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milo: Thanks man, I'm counting on support from people like you, come week 26 or so.

    JKA: Yeah, it's weird how a rejection can be encouraging, but it's definitely true.

    Maverick: Never heard of Baen's Bar, but I'll check it out for sure. Congrats on your story in RGR--looking forward to seeing it next to mine, and to reading it. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you - what a great way to start off the new year!! :)

    ReplyDelete