Saturday, December 4, 2021

Oh How I Miss NaNoWriMo!

Now Playing: INSIDE THE FIRE by Disturbed
Just Read: GREEN MARS by Kim Stanley Robinson--Tons and tons of sci-fi worldbuilding that really got me thinking about my own worldbuilding skills, especially beyond the physical. So much politics! 
Reading Now: THE EVENING AND THE MORNING by Ken Follett

Congratulations to all you NaNoWriMo winners out there! 

I've won NaNoWriMo twice, and both times were amazing experiences. I loved the feeling of being submerged in the story, thinking about it all day for a month, and writing writing writing alongside so many peers. The community on Twitter was inspiring and really helped push me to get to 50,000 words. 

This November, I had to focus on my doctoral project, so I didn't have the time to dedicate to NaNoWriMo. But following along on Twitter made me remember sitting up late at my desk, listening to music from a hundred different film scores, and typing from one plot point to another. For me, it was a magical time, when writing felt more like play and less like work than ever before. 

What was really amazing, though, is how much NaNoWriMo taught me. Maybe it was just by virtue of word count--I've heard that your first million words are just practice, and I think more and more that that's true--but I think it was more than that, too. It taught me the skills you need to write a novel, such as how to construct it, how to foreshadow, how it can be broken into different acts (or beginning, middle, and end) and what those parts need. I had written novels before NaNoWriMo, but they were a different kind of fun. This was like being a part of a masterclass, with all the Nanoers as my fellow students trying to accomplish something together. 

My program is finished next August. Who knows what next year will bring, but I hope I can do NaNoWriMo again in 2022. 

No comments:

Post a Comment