Thursday, July 11, 2019

Summer Focuses

Now Playing: HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX by Nicholas Hooper
Just Read: ANCILLARY JUSTICE by Ann Leckie--A wonderfully fun concept around which an awesome space opera is built. Totally recommend this one! Pushes some awesome sci-fi thoughts.
Reading Now: MISTBORN by Brandon Sanderson

Summer is my favorite season. I always get a lot of reading done during the summer. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with longer days and more time to spend by the pool, which I love to do while reading.

As always happens when I read a lot, I get encouraged to write more during the summer. This summer, I have a few plans. First, I'm 76,000 words into a novel called "Star Struck", the second in a trilogy I have planned. The first book,  Star Born, is finished, close to being worthy of sending out to agents.

But, I have a new idea in mind. A novel that's completely different, and one that is a bit closer to home. The story landed pretty much fully formed in my mind a few months ago, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it, even while working on Star Struck. So I think I'm going to go for it and begin it, even if it means working on two novels at once. I don't really have any fears that I'm going to let Star Struck languish unfinished, because I really enjoy the story, and picking up where I left off comes easily for me.

Hopefully this new novel comes as easily onto the paper as it did into my head.

And as always, I have stories in mind for the Writers of the Future Contest. Fortunately, the story I plan to submit by the September deadline already has a first draft completed. It'll be a purely editing project this summer, which I think will be a nice change from the pure prose construction that I'll be focusing on otherwise.

So many stories to write, so few summers in which to write them!

No comments:

Post a Comment