Saturday, April 1, 2017

April Fool's

Now Playing: SHERLOCK HOLMES by Hans Zimmer

It's April Fool's day, but no joke--I just finished a 10,000 word story that I started in March and worked on pretty vigorously between studying for pharmacology and regional anesthesia tests. I wrote on the weekends and on off days and in the evenings after coming home from clinical. I wrote in short bursts and long marathons. I got it done!

I'm proud of myself. It hasn't been easy to muster the energy to write new fiction during grad school. Class is demanding, but also more constrained by time. I mean, I can put off writing a story until later, but I can't put of studying for a test indefinitely. I have papers due and projects to complete and group meetings to attend. My days start early and end late, and somewhere in there I'm trying to squeeze in some fiction composition. I don't always succeed.

Like I said, though, I've changed my paradigm for this year, and since my amazing wife got me these awesome moleskin notebooks I can carry around, I've been able to take care of some story planning and draft outlines when I have breaks in class or downtime. I've still been adding to ideas in my notes app; there must be 200 budding stories saved in there, waiting to be written. I'm looking forward to finding out what they're all about.

But I doubt they'll all be done by graduation. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment